Central Hokkaido

Posted on

Central Hokkaido is the political and economic hub of this prefecture. The capital of Hokkaido, Sapporo, is located here as well as the port cities of Otaru and Muroran. The major airport of this prefecture is located in Chitose approximately 50 minutes by train from Sapporo. The area has beautiful parks, wildlife areas, ski & snow board mountains and large hot spring (“Onsen” ) areas.






- SAPPORO- Noboribetsu
- Otaru - Muroran

  • 洞爺湖芸術館
    Toyako Art Museum & Park
    Admission¥300 adults ¥200 high school students ¥100 children Free for Toyako townspeople Opening Hours10:30 - 16:30 ClosedMondays November to March Contact0142-87-2525 NotesLocal art gallery, parking available, wheelchair access Location / Getting ThereLocated on the northern side of Lake Toya. 3 …
  • 金毘羅寺
    Konpira Temple
    Konpira Temple (or better known as 'Konpiraji' in Japanese) is a buddhist temple. It is the main temple in Kutchan and is a good place to visit while in town. It makes for a good spot to get some photos or to experience a little of the Japanese culture.
  • Hakkenzan Winery
    Hakkenzan Winery
    Hakkenzan Winery is located at the foot of Mt. Hakkenzan and was opened in 2011. This pleasant winery sits beautifully in its surroundings with views of the surrounding areas. The winery has 3 vine fields that cultivates more than 25 varieties of grapes. This winery produces some fantastic wines …
  • 西岡公園
    Nishioka Park
    Nishioka Park is located in the southern suburbs of Sapporo. The main feature of this huge park is the equally huge pond at its center. The water feature was originally constructed as a water supply facility for the former army (25th Infantry Regiment) in the Meiji era. Construction started in June 1891 with the blocking of the Tsukisamu River.
  • Obihiro Shrine
    In 1881, a man named Benzo Yoda and others from Shizuoka Prefecture organized a pioneer group called the "Bansei-sha". This group  and settled inShimo-Obihiro Village and started pioneering. During this time, they started holding festivals and later built a small shrine, though the connection with the current Obihiro Shrine is still not well known.
  • Midorigaoka Park
    This massive park is located in the middle of the city of Obihiro. Stretching to 50 hectares, this comprehensive park contains a park golf course, the Obihiro Zoo and the Obihiro Centennial Hall, plus walking trails and a pond.
  • Obihiro Centennial Hall
    The Obihiro Centennial City Museum was opened back in 1982. It is part of Midorigaoka Park which also contains the Obihiro Zoo. This museum exhibits materials relating to the natural history and local history of Obihiro and the Tokachi region.
  • Kofukuji
    In the Obihiro district there is an expanse of farmlands and wilderness. Between the city of Obihiro and Hiroo, you can find Kofukuji. This temple, also known as the 'happiness temple' is a Shinto temple that is just off the main highway highway off route 236
  • Kōfuku Station
    Kōfuku Station is a closed railway station from the now defunct Hiroo line. The station originally opened on 1st November 1956, but the line, which went from Obihiro to Hiroo, was discontinued in 1987 bringing an end to the station. Even though the station closed down, it still remains a popular sightseeing spot for tourists.
  • Toyoni Shrine
    The beginnings of Toyoni Shrine dates back to August 1891. It all started as a simple and small garden shrine that was created by a settler, Kanjiro Inoue, who had made his way to the district of Hiroo. As a guardian deity of the area, he held a ritual of protection during the seasons of spring and autumn.
  • Tokachi Shrine
    Tokachi Shrine dates all the way back to June 1666. The shrine is located in the coastal town of Hiroo. Hundreds of years ago, the fishing industry here became strong. As the town prospered, so did the reverence of the deities. 
  • Funbe Falls
    From Cape Erimo to the small town of Hiroo, there is a road that winds its way along the coast. Just fifteen minutes before the town of Hiroo, you can find the Funbe Falls. The road (route 336), that these falls are by, is known as the 'Golden Road'. This road was originally started in 1798 and cut through the steep and craggy Hidaka mountains.
  • Kaze no Yakata (House of Wind)
    The 'House of Wind' is situated overlooking Cape Erimo. Cape Erimo is famous for its strong winds and rolling mists. Because of this, the museum is actually built into the mountain. Its prominent feature is the large glass windows that face out from the cliff face with spectacular (and warm) views over the ocean and the rocky peninsular.
  • Cape Erimo Lighthouse
    Cape Erimo Lighthouse is a large white lighthouse that can be found overlooking the tip of Cape Erimo. The lighthouse was first lit in the Meiji Era on June 25, 1889. It was destroyed during a bombing raid on July 15, 1945 during World War II.

Odori Park

Odori Park

At the centre of the park

Originally constructed approximately 110 years ago as a fire barrier between the northern and southern ends of Sapporo city when all buildings were made of wood. It is about 100 meters wide, 13 blocks long and marks the center of the city. Odori is the host area of many of Sapporo’s events and festivals including the Yuki Matsuri, the Yasokoi Dance Festival and the Sapporo Beer Festival. (Event Calendar) In the summer months the parks is a mecca for tired office workers and the general public wanting to relax and soak up some sun during Hokkaido’s beautiful summer months. The park is changed seasonally and will be adorned in flowers and shrubs during the summer months and covered with lights during the winter months. Use Odori Subway Station exits numbers 3 and 4 to put yourself in the middle of the park. Top
Opening HoursVarious events are held throughout the year.
ClosedParts of the park can be closed during construction phases of events.
Getting ThereOdori, Chūō-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaidō 060-0042, Japan
Catch the subway to Oodori station. The park runs from the Sapporo TV Tower west for 13 blocks.

Otaru Glassware

Otaru Glassware is also well known throughout Japan and has had a long history. The glassworks originally made lanterns and other products for the first settlers in the region however, as the town expanded and the herring industry sprang to life the focus was changed to making glass buoys. When the herring industry suffered its major decline in the late 1950s the glassworks began producing ornamental pieces for direct sale to consumers and tourists. Today Otaru’s glass industry is thriving and many beautiful pieces are on display for pleasure and sale. Some major glass works are the Kitaichi Glass works, the Otaru Unga Kogeikan, “The Glass Ship” Warehouse and the Kitaichi Venetian Art Museum. It is possible to “make your own” glass item in some of the glass works such as ‘The Glass Studio’ and the ‘Otaru Unga Kogeikan’. If you wish to make your own item it is best to make a reservation, especially in summer if you have many people in your group. Top

AdmissionMost glassworks are free entry.
To make your own glass item prices vary from about ¥500 to ¥2000.
Opening HoursMost shops are open 9 : 30 am to 6 pm (a little later in summer)
ContactKitaichi Glassworks
0134 – 33 – 1993
The Glass Studio
0134 – 33 – 9390
Otaru Unga Kogei-kan
0134 – 29 – 1111
Getting ThereMost Glassworks are located near the canal area along Ironai dori. From Otaru Station walk toward the bay. About 10 min.

Dolphin and Whale Watching Tours

Hokkaido is one of the premier areas in Japan to go whale and dolphin watching. Muroran is well situated to view the whales on their annual migration through Volcano Bay. There are plenty of sightseeing boats available during the the summer months from about the end of April to the middle of August. Top

AdmissionTours for adults start at about ¥5000
Tours for minors start at about ¥2500
Opening Hours-
Contact(0143) 27 – 1822
For information & reservations
Getting There-

Daiichi Takimotokan

With one of Japan’s largest bath complexes and the oldest hotel in the Noboribetsu area Daiichi Takimotokan is a hot spring lovers delight. Firstestablished in 1858, the complex now has more than half a dozen modern buildings. Contained within these buildings are various mineral pools, waterfalls, walking pools, cold pools, steam room, and a swimming pool with slide. There are seven different kinds of mineral pools and outdoor and indoor pools.Top

AdmissionHotel Guests Free of Charge
Non-Hotel Guests – ¥2 000
Opening HoursHotel Guests Open 24hrs.
Non-Hotel Guests – 9 am to 5 pm Daily
Contact0143 – 84 – 3322
Getting There-